Fisherman’s Wharf, located just around the corner from Victoria’s Inner Harbour, is a vibrant marine destination that promises fun for the entire family. This hidden gem is home to food kiosks, unique shops, eco-tour adventures, fishing vessels, pleasure boats, live-aboard residents, and float homes. The eastern end of the wharf is populated largely by float homes, with 33 berths designated for floating residences by the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority.
Free Activities & Attractions:
- Strolling & Sightseeing:
- Wander around the wharf and enjoy the vibrant atmosphere. The eastern end of the wharf is particularly interesting, populated largely by float homes.
- Admire the various boats, from working fishing vessels to pleasure boats with live-aboard residents.
- Observe the daily life of the wharf, where commercial businesses and fishing activities provide a glimpse into the maritime culture of Victoria.
- Wildlife Watching:
- The local harbour seal rookery is a highlight, especially during the summer months when mother seals raise their young.
- Birdwatching can also be a treat, with various marine birds frequenting the area.
- Victoria Harbour Ferry Water Ballet:
- On weekends during the summer, the Victoria Harbour Ferry offers free Water Ballet performances. It’s a unique spectacle where the iconic pickle boats dance on the water.
- Scenic Walk:
- Fisherman’s Wharf is just a 10-minute walk from The Breakwater District at Ogden Point cruise ship terminal. The walk itself offers scenic views and a refreshing marine breeze.
- It’s also a 15-minute scenic walk from the Inner Harbour, allowing visitors to take in the beauty of Victoria’s coastline.
- The eastern end of Fisherman’s Wharf is known for its float homes, with 33 berths designated by the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority specifically for these unique residences.
- The Victoria Harbour Ferry, apart from its regular services, entertains visitors with its free Water Ballet performances during the summer weekends.
Note: While strolling and sightseeing are free, visitors are reminded to respect the personal property and privacy of the float home residents and other live-aboard residents.
For more information: Eat, play and shop at Fisherman’s Wharf – GVHA